Sunday, May 13, 2012

Fat Americans

Yes, readers, I know - it's been a very long time since I've posted.  Life has gotten pretty darn busy.  And, yes, I was still feeling a bit grumpy about things (see my previous post), but I'm back, if only briefly for right now.

Our school librarian, with whom I've shared the details of this journey I'm on, last week showed me the cover of the most recent Newsweek magazine.



Clever, to be sure.  And sad of course, becuase of its seeming truth.

I finally got online and read the article and was pretty impressed, especially considering it's a major popular weekly magazine, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

You can read it here: America'a Obesity Crisis

It's sort of a review of an upcoming 4-part HBO special called "The Weight of the Nation."  The author, Gary Taubes, however, essentially disagrees with the premise of the show.  That premise is one we've heard for a while - Americans are obese because we are not physically fit enough.  Taubes argues, though, from a rather nutritarian standpoint, that it's the food we eat that is making us fat (refined sugars, starches, processed foods, dairy, etc.).

The article is definitely worth a read.  I'll probably try to check out the HBO special when it comes out, but based on this, I'm not expecting too much.

That's all for now -

Be well!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link to the article, I will have to read that. As for "Weight of the Nation", I got through most of it and had essentially that opinion: that it focused on not getting enough exercise, for obese adults and obese or overweight children, but very little on nutrition. They focused mainly on saying how children should not drink sugary drinks including sodas, energy drinks (obviously!), sports drinks, and juices. When it did talk about adult nutrition, it focused on pretty much saying "don't eat at fast food places and limit your calories", which is all fine and dandy, but it didn't say to eat more, OR MOSTLY fruits, vegetables, beans and legumes, and nuts and seeds. We know from a nutritarian standpoint that this is how people achieve long-term results of weightloss, by making a lifestyle change, not from depriving them of calories from already crappy foods.
    Anyways, I wanted to let you know that I am nominating you for the Versatile Blogger Award (http://versatilebloggeraward.wordpress.com/vba-rules/) and will be featuring a link to your blog on my blog, Amy Nutritarian Kitchen (amysnutritariankitchen.blogspot.com). Keep up the great blogging :)
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete